Sunday, 4 October 2015

SaJiMa


SaJiMa. My family all time favorite snack. Simple  Ingredients of flour and eggs can be transformed into such a wonderful snack. I found this recipe in a Chinese cookbook and tried other recipes but feel this is the only recipe I like.

Sa Ji Ma ( updated recipe)

Ingredients:

(A) 375gms flour
      50 gms butter
     1tsp baking powder.
      4egg

 (B) 275gms sugar      
      200ml maltose            
      80ml water
     1 tsp lemon juice                         

Method:

Sift flour with baking powder and add butter.
Mix till resembles breadcrumbs, add eggs and knead into a smooth dough.
Leave aside for 20 mins.
After 20 mins, cut dough into half roll dough into rectangle.
Cut into 1 inch sections and finally into 1/2 cm strips and coat with flour to prevent from sticking together.
Heat up oil and fry shreds till golden brown over medium fire.
Placed fried strips into a large bowl.
Cook (B) over medium fire until sugar dissolves.
Pour  mixture onto dissolved sugar syrup and toss until combined.
Transfer mixture into a greased 8×8 inch baking tin and press mixture using a rolling pin or your palm until compact.
Leave for an hour or two before cutting into squares.




4 comments:

  1. Hi
    May I know what kind of flour you used here. I live in the USA. They carry all purpose flour, cake flour, corn starch....wheat flour...what kind of flour you used?
    Also, can I cut down the sugar since we can't eat too much sweet.
    Thanks. Also, thanks for sharing your family's recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JP. I used plain flour for this recipe. It's really not very sweet when mixed with the noodles. Sugar and maltose are needed to bind the noodles together. Thanks for your interest in this recipe.

      Delete
    2. thanks so much. I will try to find noodle.. won't be easy to find here, but I guess, I can replace with rice cereal.

      Delete
    3. Plain flour is all purpose flour.

      Delete