Tuesday, 18 August 2015

Chwee Kueh

Chwee Kueh is a popular breakfast dish here in Singapore. Chwee Kueh in Teochew means water cakes and this steamed cakes are consumed with a sinful chai poh topping. Rice flour is used for this recipe but Tapioca flour is added to give a more springy texture. I am using this recipe from Singaporean Cooking by Mrs. Leong Yee Soo. I have make some changes to the recipe. I used corn flour instead of sago flour and cooked the chai poh differently from the recipe.

Chwee Kueh

Ingredients:  600 ml water
                       140 gms rice flour
                       1 tbsp corn flour
                       1/2 tsp salt
                       1 tbsps oil
Topping: 100ml oil
                 2 cloves garlic, minced
                 120gms chopped preserved radish or chai poh
                  4 tbsps fried sesame seeds
                 Pepper, salt and sugar to taste


Mix 250ml ml of the water with the 2 types of flour and salt in a bowl together with the oil.
Boil the rest of the water and pour gradually into the flour mixture, stirring all the time to prevent lumps.
Transfer mixture into a pot and stir over low fire till mixture thickens up a bit . Not dough.
Arrange the moulds on a steamer and steam the moulds for 5 mins.
Pour mixture into moulds and steam for 10 - 15minutes.
Remove the rice cakes from steamer and let it rest for awhile before taking them out of the moulds.

To cook the chai poh:

Soak the chai poh for 10 mins .
Wash the chai poh and drain in a sieve.
Mix the chai poh and minced garlic together. Set aside.
Heat up the oil and add in the chai poh mixture and cook for a while till fragrant over small fire.
Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
Then add in seasonings and a few drops of dark soya sauce and mix well.
Stir in the sesame seeds and combine.

1 comment:

  1. I attempted your simple recipe. It turned out yummy but didnt look as nice as yours (pic above). The problem was I poured the flour mixture in the boiled water and cooked for a full minute on the stove at the same time whisking. The mixture became thick pretty fast thus it was sticky when scoop it onto the mould. Any suggestion. Maybe I should cook it for less than 1 minute?